Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] What options do exist to use voip phone without a cablemodem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyChem

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Howdy!. Recently my phone company has installed a phone as an update to the existing copper wire system which was installed in my home. However this requires the phone to be connected to a cablemodem in order to work. Needless to say that this is not very helpful for me as I suffer from EHS and I have to keep the router and cablemodem turned off most of the time unless I require to use the internet.

Therefore I'd like to know if there are any other means to use a voip phone other than connecting it to a cablemodem in order to work?. Does it exist an adapter or something which doesn't uses a cablemodem?.

Maybe there's an alternate voip gateway which doesn't have an inner antenna? I think my phone is a SIP voip but as I mentioned I don't intend to have it connected to the cablemodem. In short terms an alternative such as plug in the wall. Is the latter a FXS what am I looking for or a FXO or a voip adapter? Can someone guide me with the right solution for me?

Only WLAN function of the router is using radio waves. It can be turned off if you connect computers and IP-phone by ethernet cables to the router.

Only WLAN function of the router is using radio waves. It can be turned off if you connect computers and IP-phone by ethernet cables to the router.

I know that. But what I intended to ask was for an alternative instead of having to turn off the router. I was thinking in another device which could act as an adapter or something which could work like plug in the wall as indicated. Turning off the WLAN function in the router is not exactly the solution which I was intending. Aren't any other devices which could be used instead of the cablemodem supplied by my phone company?.

Unless you have one of those combo units that have an integrated cable modem + router + wifi, then your cable modem shouldn't be generating a lot of EM radiation on it's own.

Seems to me you should buy a different cable modem and don't use the one supplied by your cable company. You can buy cable modems with no router+wifi and buy a separate router and a separate wifi hub (no router). Use shielded Cat 5 cable to minimize EM radiation (though a Cat 5 cable using UTP doesn't really generate that much EM radiation) and properly ground them. Doing this will only require you shut off the Wifi hub, the rest of your network can stay active.

ads-ee's solution is the only valid one for your problem if you want your phone to work without wifi.
You need a modem to connect a VOIP phone to the internet.
The modem will generate very little radiation with the wifi hub off.

Last edited:

Use shielded Cat 5 cable to minimize EM radiation (though a Cat 5 cable using UTP doesn't really generate that much EM radiation) and properly ground them

If you must ground a shielded cat 5 cable, do that only at one end (I am still confused how). RJ45 connector does not have a ground pin and if you are going to connect the shield to the metal body (somewhere and somehow), be careful because you may actually increase the noise. Best to leave the shield unconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back