Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Should I consider a career as a PCB design engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

than_wu

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 2 years experience in RTL design and verification, FPGAs, etc. (w/ BSEE)

A job opportunity has come up as a PCB design engineer (posted as hardware engineer) but looks like there is
a distinction between PCB design engineer and PCB layout engineer. (from what I read on the web)

PCB design engineer seems to be a professional job that requires a degree
on the other hand PCB layout engineer is a technician job that requires no degree.

I don't want to go down a technician path.

Please.. Advise me.. I'm sure there are many gurus out there.

Ideally I want to do this job for a few years and get into a higher hardware engineering role.
I don't want to go down the wrong path.. looks like I can learn a lot of signal integrity and maybe
move on to a SI engineer later .. which is distinguished.

So question is.. is a PCB design engineer a professional job
that requires a degree and respected in the industry or will people confuse it with a technician job?

Thanks for helping me.

PCB designing is certainly a very professional and at times- artistic job. But unfortunately sometimes treated as a technician job. But since you already have some experience in RTL, it would be better to continue in that domain...

Status
Not open for further replies.