Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] PCB assembly service recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomj3

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm relatively new to PCB design (I'm a long-time software developer learning about embedded design), but I have put together a few simple boards - mainly kits...so this will be my first complex design with SMT chips (BGA, LFCSP, LCC, CSPBGA, etc.) that I can't solder by hand with the tools I have. So I need to find a reasonably priced service that can handle these chip packages and assemble (and perhaps manufacture) my PCB in prototype quantities (5 or so).

Does anyone have recommendations for PCB assembly services? ...and if you have any 'lessons learned' that you could share with a first-timer, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks, Tom

Re: PCB assembly service recommendations?

In most casses is possible to solder diferent types of QFP parts with some hot air rework station. It depend from your budget, wich one to prefer. In contrast soldering a BGA chips is serious challenge. The main line BGA soldering equipment is quite expensive. Probably there is some relativly more cheaper solition to this problem. May be you shoud think about exlusion of BGA packages from your projects, at least for first time.

tomj3

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I am restricted by the package types for the chips that I need (analog devices accelerometer/gyroscope, and others). They don't come in easy-to-hand-solder package types...which is why I'm looking for an assembly service.

Hand soldering (or hack soldering - e.g., BGA reflow in a toaster oven) is not an option for me right now; neither is investing in expensive equipment.

PCB assembly service recommendations?

I agree with Moss here.

There are a few issues you need to identify first:

- Type of components
- Number of units per production batch
- ICT test

The normal case is always that you pay a start up fee, then it depends on if you are the supplier of components or they are, the price can be very different (they buy in 10k quantity of resistors and capacitors etc,) then most of the smaller companies have 2 calculations, one for the size of the board, and the second one is for the number of pins in the system.

In general they all charge a huge start up fee for BGA and fine pitch components.

Be very carefull, read the fine print of the agreement, about who is responcible for faulty boards (shipping can be the main cost if they are not in the same area/country).

BR,
/Farhad

tomj3

Where are you?

It's hard to make recommendations without knowning where in the world you're based. We have a local supplier that does multi-layer PCB manufacture, sources parts, and assembles them. Including BGAs. Short run prototypes are typically in the order of US$1000. Even cheaper if you provide your own components. They are literally five minutes down the road from where I work. But I wouldn't recommend them to you if you live on the other side of the world... It's too much hassle if you run into difficulties - much easier to deal with someone local. But where is local?

tomj3

I am in New York City.

Sounds like an interesting vendor - along the lines of what i'm looking for. A vendor close to NYC would be ideal, but I'd settle for a recommended supplier that does good work (and doesn't mind working with someone new to the game).

My design consists of a small (~4in x 4in) main board, double sided, with about 10 small chips and assorted supporting parts (resistors, caps, etc.), as well as two 'daughter' boards (~2in x 2in) with 2 ICs each and supporting parts. Each board has at least one BGA chip (unavoidable - the parts don't exist in other packages and can't be removed/replaced in the design).

I can order all of the parts directly from either the manufacturers or through Digikey (and other suppliers). And I'll probably do a couple of prototype runs in small quantities (5-10 - or whatever makes sense considering pricing).

PCB assembly service recommendations?

Hi,
I think you should get intouch with a few companies and see what they say about the pricing of your boards.

For small boards like yours, it is a good practice to create a small pannel of all the 3 boards with cutout in between. So you get on board with the size 4x6 or what ever the total is. That makes the startup fee much less.

It is also easier to write ICT for such boards if you desire to do so (the cost goes up with 4-5k for the testbed).

For prototypes, if you take care of the components yourself (don't worry about the R, C or Diodes, you are much better to go ahead with what the company recoments).

For BGA, I would recomend that you go ahead with more boards than you need, if this is the first time you are dealing with a company and you are new in this, it is better to have more boards than find out that most of the ones you have don't work and order another batch (sadly I have done it!).

For most cases, the initia cost is the biggest chunk of money you have to deal with, try to get quotes from different companies locally and even in other countries and see the difference, you can always argue the pice if you are planning to go into mass-prodution. Many companies would give you a good deal if they see future business in you.

BR,
/Farhad

tomj3

You may begin with DIP chips and 2-layer board, then SMD, then BGA, Bonding chips....
good luck

Mike

Hi,

We're access star Co.,Ltd,specialized in PCB assembly services,if any new projects,you're welcome to reach us here.

We're looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Yoko.
Access Star Co., Ltd/ Asialink Inl't Tech Corp.
Tel: 86-769-81551609#833/ 86-769-85399795
Fax: 86-769-85426823
E-mail: yoko@access-star.com

Status
Not open for further replies.