Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] OP Amp Alternative For IC LM709

Status
Not open for further replies.

dighedip@gmail.com

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is there any alternative for Op amp IC709....
I want the alternative OP AMP IC which have all specific characteristics similar to IC LM709
So pls help me, if any body has any idea regarding this issue!!!!

An LM709 was designed many years ago. Today its spec's are HORRIBLE! Why not use a more modern and better opamp instead?

The LM709 has an external compensation circuit. Other than that, its performance characteristics are so low compared to modern standards that almost any single opamp which supports +/-15 v supply will work. You Only have to remove all the external compensation components.

The only big challenge I would find, is that the LM709 most usual package was in a metal round can. That package is obsolete.
If you are replacing a LM709 in an existing board layout, you'll have to add wire jumpers to a DIP8 package and then dead-bug it to the board.

I contradict in two regards
- LM709 has been offered in DIP8, too
- a number of TO-8 metal can OPs is still available. but mainly offered for Mil and space applications

My comment was only applicable if he wants to substitute a LM709 on a pre-existing board which has a round metal can layout.

As LM709 is really very obsolete, all depends on the real circuit you want to make, for a particular application.
Over the years there are hundreds of new opamps, some similar to LM709, others more suited for particular applications.

Go to "www.analog.com" and try look on data sheets of modern opamps. There are also typical schematics you can use. Samples are sometimes offered for free or a low cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.