Not open for further replies.

cdez

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am a newbie and I'd like to create my first serious project in electronics: a motor driver.

The motor I'd like to control is a 12V DC brushed motor, it is a grill motor, it is chinese and it has no datasheet.
I tested the motor with my hand and it rises up to ~28 amps when stalled, the motor will be used in a robotic arm which is not built yet, so I have no idea the average current that it will consume, so I decided to built a driver with can handle up to 30 amps to be safe.

I'am going to use MOSFETs, only N-CHANNEL ones because I need Rds(on) below 10mOhm otherwise the mosfet will blow up because of the high current.
For the mosfet I am hesitating between several mosfets, there is too many choices :???: (if you have an advice I'd like to know )

Because I am using only N-CHANNEL MOSFETs, I will have to drive high side N moss using a driver, I've found the IR2110 quiet interesting.

I've found different diagrams over the internet for the IR2110 using different capacitors and resistors and I don't know what to chose.

I just want to be able to turn on/off my motor and invert the direction, I don't really need PWM / speed control but as I understand PWM is required to keep the high side voltage high.
For the frequency of PWM I can set anything between 500hertz and I think several tens of khZs ( I am using PIC18F45K22 ).

So my questions are:
- What frequency should I use in your opinion ?

- I saw that between the gate and HO/LO people use 10R resistor, is it really needed to be so few ? How much watts the resistor should be able to handle ? 10ohm resistors seems to be quiet hard to find.

-And which capacitor should I use ? ( I suppose this depends on the frequency ) I'd like to have tiniest capacitor possible.

-Could I really use 3.3v logic to drive IR2110 (LIN and HIN) like said on the datasheet ?

Thanks for your time,

Status
Not open for further replies.