Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] LCD Readout with preprogrammed text based on voltage or resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

twojayzee

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there guys. I hope this is in the right section. I'm working on a project for my car. It involves a stand alone engine management system.
I have two separate 12 position switches that select traction control, and boost settings. I would like to have an LCD readout that I could
program with 12 separate messages that would be changed based on the switch position. This could be done with voltage or resistance values.

Is there such an animal that exists, or would I need to create a program and use some type of controller/chipset ?
I understand electronics in a rudimentary fashion. I can wire a car from scratch (which im doing right now)

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

which microcontroller are u using? The selectable 12 position switch will have perticular voltage output for each selection. This voltage can be given to ADC and corresponding msg can be read from ROM and sent to LCD_print function. is LCD alphanumeric or graphic? If its alphanumeric there are plenty of example codes online. Can u share the schematic? That will help understand the problem.

I don't have either of the parts yet, I was hoping some of you Guru's could point me in the right direction even if it was just pointing me toward a product; or another forum that may be more specific to this topic. I've been searching online to find someone with a similar project, but don't know the search terms to use.
I can tell you the switch I'm using is re-branded or modified, and is sold by AEM electronics. The part number is 30-2056
But here's an attachement with the signals that the switch is capable of.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 52

considering this is what the application needs:
1. read the 12 position switch output.
2. Read from memory the corresponding msg for that selection and print on LCD.

Select any 8-bit MCU (microcontroller unit) for this application with 10 or 12 bit ADC with 12 more I/O pins to use an aplhanumeric LCD display usually 16x1. The selectable switch is a potentiometer i.e. selectable variable resistance, connect it between Vcc and GND and the variable pin to one of ADC pin for microcontroller.
U need to write application to do that using manufacturer provided compiler.
For e.g. I usually do all my projects with microchip's PIC microcontroller so u can go here to select the MCU (https://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=1013). PIC16F1707 is good for ur application. They have there free MPLAB X compiler for coding. U need to buy PICkit3 for programming MCU (https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=pg164130).

For beginner:
If u r a beginner and wants to start from scratch, Microchip also sells prebuilt development boards for you. I recommend "PICDEM 2+" (https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails.aspx?PartNO=dm163022-1). It also comes with a one 40-pin GP-MCU, a ICD3/PICkit3 programmer with 9V power supply. U can buy this and just start making ur application. As u can see it also contains an alphanumeric LCD. It comes with all code examples that u can also download from microchip.com. I use PIC bcoz i never had problem with it and it has excellent support from microchip.

U can also use AVR MCU. There is an open source Arduino board u can use which has lot of code examples and support too. (https://www.arduino.cc/)

ashugtiwari, thats a huge help !
I really appreciate it. I'm going to look into all of those items tonight.

I'm wondering if I wanted a 16x2 with two rows of text and two potentiometers, could that ACD perform that task.
It would be awesome to have one for boost and one for traction control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back