Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] disadvantage of cadsoft Eagle pcb software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujatajadhav

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anybody tell me disadvantage of cadsoft Eagle pcb software compare to altium designer, mentor pads and orcad. .I was used Protel 99 se ,altium,mentor pads in pervious company.But in new company,they want free software & dont know about eagle.IS eagle so advanced?

Last edited:

Re: disadvantage of cadsoft Eagle pcb software.

That is too vague a question to get a useful answer. What are you wanting to do with the software and what are you comparing it with?

Keith

Can anybody tell me disadvantage of cadsoft Eagle pcb software compare to altium designer, mentor pads and orcad. .I was used Protel 99 se ,altium,mentor pads in pervious company.But in new company,they want free software & dont know about eagle.IS eagle so advanced?

Eagle isn't free so if you are looking for free software you need to look at DesignSpark or Kicad. What sort of designs are you doing?

Keith

The weakness of many free tools is the verification side.
On a complex board you'd really like to ensure that the
layout matches schematic intent (which, in turn, you'd
like to have in a form / tool that allows simulation for that
purpose) as well as complies with design rules from some
board house you'll use.

This latter, at least, you can expect in some of the "free"
tools from PCB vendors (PCB123, et al). The LVS, that's
"iffier" and if you found that, you might also find simulator
netlist export (since some LVS tools are SPICE:SPICE)
although this is a lot to expect for nothing.

Designspark only looks free. Its designed to lock you into an expensive supply chain.
When software is designed with secondary motivation its never a good choice.

I am not aware that DesignSpark locks you into anything. As far as I know you can use whatever parts you like and create any parts/symbols/footprints you like.

Keith

You can use whatever parts you want with DesignSpark. They make it easy to use their (RS and Allied) parts since all the vendor info is in the library already but you can add your own vendor info and generate BOMS, etc using your data. The Gerber output is standard and can be used by any vendor.

Reactions: pinout

pinout

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanking you

In free version of eagle,pcb size is limited.You cannot make larger boards using eagle free version.

Then you just buy it, its still way cheaper then all the major professional CAD softwares, and you have tons of support on the internet, i can also tell you any PCB manufacturer will accept your eagle files.

The Freeware version of EAGLE Light adds these limitations:
Support is only available via email or through our forum (no fax or phone support).
Use is limited to non-profit applications or evaluation purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back