most popular wi-fi and gsm modules (dressing up a list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davestew

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I want to build a data logging system that is essentially a microcontroller (probably a PIC) connected to sensors, and the whole thing is controlled via Wi-Fi or/and GSM. (Maybe gps too - I have not decided on that yet). I am quite familiar with the microcontroiller component of the device but unfamiliar with the GSM and wi-fi components. Based on the number of projects that are out there (referenced on the web I mean) , it seems that I will be using a PIC for this project, but I digress. At this part in the project, I am dressing up a list of the components that are good candidates to use - low cost, small size and low standby current being my chief requirements, but mainly low cost. Basically what I am asking here is what are the mainstream / most popular low-cost wi-fi and gsm module integrated circuits out there ?

Here is my list so far:
wi-fi:
MRF24WB0MB from Microchip
RN-171 from Roving Networks

GSM wireless module
SIM900 from simcom
GSM0308 from Enfora
Si4200 from Silicon Labs

As you see, my list is quite NOT extensive - but I've been googling now for a day (probably not looking at the rigth places) and cannot seem to get a good read on what are the most popular chips being used.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…