Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

most popular wi-fi and gsm modules (dressing up a list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davestew

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I want to build a data logging system that is essentially a microcontroller (probably a PIC) connected to sensors, and the whole thing is controlled via Wi-Fi or/and GSM. (Maybe gps too - I have not decided on that yet). I am quite familiar with the microcontroiller component of the device but unfamiliar with the GSM and wi-fi components. Based on the number of projects that are out there (referenced on the web I mean) , it seems that I will be using a PIC for this project, but I digress. At this part in the project, I am dressing up a list of the components that are good candidates to use - low cost, small size and low standby current being my chief requirements, but mainly low cost. Basically what I am asking here is what are the mainstream / most popular low-cost wi-fi and gsm module integrated circuits out there ?

Here is my list so far:
wi-fi:
MRF24WB0MB from Microchip
RN-171 from Roving Networks

GSM wireless module
SIM900 from simcom
GSM0308 from Enfora
Si4200 from Silicon Labs

As you see, my list is quite NOT extensive - but I've been googling now for a day (probably not looking at the rigth places) and cannot seem to get a good read on what are the most popular chips being used.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back