Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfets keep burning up severely-would appreciate any insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

udir

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Friends
I am dealing with a board designed to output an RF signal at 1Mhz, 100V rms.
The circuit is an inverter that "builds" a square wave from a 24vdc , and then its filtered out to an approximate sine wave.

My problem is that the Mosfets that build this wave are after sometime gets really burnt out, and the heat sinks are changing color due to enormous heat that is probably inflicted on them m, despite the fan.
Ive made a few measurements with scope and the following came up:

1. When the circut is connected to a load, the Vdrain and I drain (lets say for Fet Q1) is quite reasonable and system is quiet.
2. When the circuit is NOT connected to a load, the Vdrain is fringing a lot and I see huge spikes of current (I figure about 50 amps momentarily)in the transitions between mosfet turn on and turn off.

My assumption is that the circuit is not designed to work with no load, but in fact it does and it causes me a lot of headaches.
Ive been trying to find a solution within current scope of design by adding fast recover diodes in parallel to the mosfets, add additional RC snubber between drains but it barley killed the large current spikes.

Any advise/proposal to improve the situation would be greatly appreciated.
If you will look at the schematics I added, some people advised me to place a common mode filter after the second stage to balance the 2 lines, but as far as i know this is mainly for EMC purposes and will not improve this situation.
also note that the capacitors that you see in parallel to each fet do not exist in the circuit.Attachment 99703 ()
Thanks a lot
Ron

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    289.9 KB · Views: 104

Those pictures don't show enough of the schematic to really say much... what is the load? How much current is it supposed to draw? Is this supposed to be a soft switching circuit? What do your gate waveforms look like?

Hi,
The circuit was built to match a 200 Ohms load.
If you dont connect anything to it, the waveform go crazy.
Ill try to upload some photos later on
Ron

Are you sure that the circuit is designed to work without load?

Status
Not open for further replies.