Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Monomer & Polymer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinamuline

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me whether it is a physical change or chemicla change when monomer changes to polymer through the process of polymerisation. Most chemistry textbooks mentioned that it is a chemical change because the chemcial properties of polymer and monomer are totally different from each other. However, will there be any exception?
Please help.

Tinamuline said:
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me whether it is a physical change or chemicla change when monomer changes to polymer through the process of polymerisation. Most chemistry textbooks mentioned that it is a chemical change because the chemcial properties of polymer and monomer are totally different from each other. However, will there be any exception?
Please help.

Based on my fundamental chemistry knowledge, I think there is no exception.
Let take 2 examples.
Addition polymerization
The polymerization from ethene to polyethene has changed the double bond in ethene into single bond. So, there is chemical change.
Condensation polymerization
1,6-diaminohexane and hexanedioic acid will react to form nylon under polymerization. However, nylon has a amide group while the monomer has no. So, there is also chemical change.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.