Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modulating index and carrier question

Status
Not open for further replies.

comsians

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why carrier frequency (fc) is atleast 10times higher than baseband frequency

Secondly
how to find the modulating index of the FM wave by seeing the spectrum

reply soon

thanx

If the carrier frequency is higher than the modulated components shall be close to the carrier and as such filtering shall be easier.

FM: You can know if the modulation index is high or low by the variations. But not much.

Hope this helps.

B R
Madhukar

The carrier freq. being atleast 10times higher than baseband frequency is for FM signals only. So my question is why this specific number 10?

Dear Sir,
One of the main reason for going to modulation is to reduce the antenna size. If the carrier frequency is atleast 10times greater then the baseband then we can effectively reduce the length of the antenna opproximately 10times.
Also in doing so we can effectively use the frequency multiplexing technique

It is very hard to make an high gain antenna or RF amplifer of wide bandwidth, so the carrier freq must higher enough to reduce the relative bandwidth.

i>to reduce the size of antenna
2>easy multiplexing
3>effective radiation
yaa,u can find out the β(modulation index ) by seeing the power spectrum
refer the text "communication system by proakis and salehi

sip said:
Dear Sir,
One of the main reason for going to modulation is to reduce the antenna size. If the carrier frequency is atleast 10times greater then the baseband then we can effectively reduce the length of the antenna opproximately 10times.
Also in doing so we can effectively use the frequency multiplexing technique

OK then why 10...why not make 20 times higher hence reduce antenna size more......or if 20 times is very high bandwidth then why not 12 or 13......I think its probably kind of standered adopted while considering antenna size..bandwidth requirment etc and everything and the optimized solution cameout would have been 10......but I dont know the exact answer truely speaking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back