Not open for further replies.

ramanandn

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I have an output port (reg) in a module. That module is instantiated in my top level module, with that output signal as wire to a pin on the CPLD.

I don't assign anything to this in my tb (since it would be an input into the tb).

But I still get the above error from Modelsim. The compilation goes through fine which makes me think that my tb has an issue. But I do nothing with this signal in my tb.

Any thoughts?

The top level pin must be either in- or output. If it's input, you get an error.

Sorry I didn't understand. The top level pin cannot be input??!

Right, a pin wired to an output of a lower level entity or a register at the top level entity can't be of the input type.

I understand that.. it is still output out of the top level. It is input to the testbench. I don't use it in the tb.

According to your description, there should be no error.

I have an output port (reg) in a module.
I don't assign anything to this in my tb (since it would be an input into the tb).

you are using a reg instead of a wire in your testbench, that's the only way to get this error.

Alex

i didnot quite follow what you said,maybe you can shou some code of your design.

just note that:in testbench,there should be only reg or wire,that is,if a signal in your design project is declared as input,then in your testbench,you should define it as reg;otherwise,define it wire.No tri-state in testbench!

hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…