Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modbus, Profibus, CANopen ..Which to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

kishore3677

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a newbei and I am very confused about the gamut of industrial protocols that are available today. Modbus, Profibus, CAN open, devicenet and so on. I always wondered, when to select them and whether we can have mix and match of these protocols in industry environment. I do not get the whole picture.

can somebody clarify?

regards
gvk

I have some experience with these. I would say what to use would depend on what you want to do. For example if you are developing a sensor or relay or valve controller for an industrial client, better to use Modbus, profiNet, profibus, devicenet etc. If your are developing for lighting applications CAN, DALI or DMX may be a good choice. For automotive CAN is the obvious choice.

CAN was originally developed by BOSCH for automobile buses, that are prone to interference. CAN is a very robust bus and quite fast. If you are looking to develop something completely new, your own network, you can go with CAN. We ourselves have started using CAN. But if you want to be more compatible in the industrial segment stick to MODBUS, PROFIBUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back