MMC x SD CARD : Are these devices inter changeables ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I´m working on an embedded system in which I´m trying to fit an bootable linux IMG file, originally designed for a 2GB MMC, into a 2GB SD card with no success, due is lacking about 0,7% of all required clusters. I performed the same procedure by Win32DiskImager.exe, but returning exactly the same accounted result on missing clusters.

In order to understand what could be the reason, I suppose that perhaps I was originally using the wrong procedure to format those SD cards, which probably could irreversibly decrease its total avaliable space.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Does it make sense, or I really must use a 2GB-MMC instead actual 2GB-SD to fit this 2GB IMG file ? ( it is weird, due the system works properly with a higher SD card of 4GB ! )

+++

I don't expect that either the MMC or SDcard standards define what's excactly the capacity of a "2GB" card. At least it's not in the documents I have. But most likely the reserved "Protected Area" that isn't used in MMC is the reason why a 2GB chip gives less net C_SIZE in SDcards.

Status
Not open for further replies.