Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mixer Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

muheeb16

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am reading this paper on a mixer and here it says that a 10-50 ohms resistor must be added (look at the diagram on the left side) to improve stability.How would this improve stability is beyond me.
Capture.PNG

It is to provide impedance matching for matching the real part of the impedance to the antenna impedance.

Not really anything to do with input Z.

Depending on I.F. freq. there may be low frequency components of the mixing product fed back to input. The resistor dampens the possibility of low freq bias shift oscillations that will effect the mixer. The low frequency bias shift may gate the mixer on and off at the low freq oscillation.

I don't like this mixer much. I would prefer to inject a lower level L.O. into the gate.

yes what terminator said. these rf transistors often have GOBS of gain at low frequencies, so you need to dampen out that gain in things like bias circuits, which really do not reject 1 MHz signals very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.