Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mircrostrip Patch Antenna Efficiencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mprathap

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Forum,

Are there any good anlayitical models on how to compute microstrip patch antenna efficiencies? There is a comprehensive discussion on this in "Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook" by Ramesh Garg, et al.

But I noticed that these models underestimate dielectric losses. For e.g for a rectangular patch antenna operating in TM10 mode on a FR4 substrate, the model predicts an efficiency of 85%. But most measured results report somewhere between 40 - 50%. I measured one such antenna in an anechoic chamber myself and got 49%.

I am trying to predict the efficiency of an antenna build on a high permittivity material (e_r of 40- 50) at a frequency of 2.4 GHz. I believe that most materials in this region are polymers and their loss tangents are no better than FR4. So I would expect a lower efficiency. But with the analytical model I get somewhere around 40% which I am sure is quite high.

Any inputs / references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back