Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

min & max value for resistor & capacitor in integrated circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaziri.sale.eng

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the min & max resistor & capacitor value which we can make in integrated circuits ?
(for example in BiCmos Tech. or Another Tech.)

Hi vaziri.sale.eng,

You always can connect devices in parallel and series, and get the value of resistance/capacitance that you want. The limitation will be probably your requirement, silicon area. For example, some processes have high-resistance (without silicide) (sheet resistance --> somes kohms/square) that is possible to achieve 1 Mega ohns easily. However, if you dont have access to this resistance, it will not be possible.

thank u dear

you mean that max resistor is 1 Mega ohm, ok , what about minimum resistor ?

i heard that the max capacitor which we may have in IC is about 1 Micro Farad , and we can not make higher than that
also i heard that the minimum capacitor in this way is 1 femto Farad and we can not make smaller than that

is this true?

The MIM capacitor is typically 2.1fF per square micron best case and 3.8fF per squre micron for a poly gate oxide capacitor.
Max resistance of GOhms is possible but max usable resistor has a sheet resistance of 2KOhms per square micron while a silicided resistor is around 2-4 Ohms per square.

There aren't really any limits, within reason. However, for high value capacitors you will use a lot of area. For example 1uF could take up 500 square mm depending on the process. It is not a cost effective use of silicon, I would suggest. As Palmeiras said, you could easily make 1M ohm with a high resistance poly but that is by no means the maximum. You could make 10M, 100M - it is really just down to area.

At the lower end, again there are almost no limits, but there will be a minimum area with which to make a capacitor before you violate design rules. I have used 7fF capacitors in precision circuits and that was with a 0.8um process so I am sure 1fF would be no problem with smaller geometries. For resistance the problem is using a very low resistance. In both cases - low resistance and capacitance - the strays will be the limiting factor.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back