Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Migration from PIC16C711 to PIC16F716

Status
Not open for further replies.

mederg

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear all,
i am a new developpeur in electronique and my topic is change the PIC16C711 to Pic16F716.
So, i have the code source is runnig (with MPLAB) + Hardware is well also for the PIC16C711. What must we change in software and hardware for succesful this migration.
thanks in advance and regards,

They are both obsolete devices. I think the nearest current device that can replace them (with some code changes) is the 16F88.

Brian.

Reactions: mederg

mederg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Brian,
thanks for you answer but we want to change the Microcontroller because the Pic Pic16F716 is Cheaper than Pic16C711
so, no change in Soft and Hard in this Electronic if i change the Microcontroller?
thank you for your support
Med

Hi Brian,
thanks for you answer but we want to change the Microcontroller because the Pic Pic16F716 is Cheaper than Pic16C711
so, no change in Soft and Hard in this Electronic if i change the Microcontroller?
thank you for your support
Med

Hi,

Seems the 716 is the recommended upgrade to use, so probably the only change needed is to the references for the C711 chip and replace with F716, then try compiling it and see if any errors are given.
( though have to agree with Brian that a more modern chip like the F88 is a good option; seems the 716 is still in production /available but not heavily stocked)

However if the code, which I assume is old and possibly in assembly, then you will have to check and reassign the user register start locations and check all the system registers are still in the same 'banks'

Perhaps if you post the code we can help more...

Attachments

• 000075.jpg
    000075.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 61

I recently did a job for a company that used 16F716 devices and had trouble sourcing them. I agree with wp100 though, try simply changing the device type in the assembler/compiler and trying again. If you are using assembly language, change the base address of the general purpose registers from 0x0D to 0x20 and it will probably work, a compiler should do that automatically for you.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back