Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microwave VSWR Measurement on Oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodquilon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using the microwave testbench shown in figure for Standing Wave Ratio measurement.
I have two choices:
one using VSWR Meter,other using CRO.
Can I apply the direct formula (SWR=maximum voltage/minimum voltage) to the square wave
displayed on CRO ?

But according to lab manual (SWR=Square root of maximum voltage/Square root of minimum

voltage). Why we are taking the square root ?

[img=http://s3.postimage.org/1bl5dl9xg/vswr.jpg]

Taken the square root you will get a voltage that is proportional to the RMS voltage of the waveform.

You can use VSWR = (max measured voltage) / (min measured voltage) = (incident wave amplitude + reflected wave amplitude) / (incident wave amplitude - reflected wave amplitude)

Pancho you must be very very young
I'm relative old.

CRO = Cathode Ray Oscilloscope
Thanks for teaching.

However why is CRO located in such place ?
Where is DUT ?

A Place where Detector Mount(XD-451) is located should be a place where DUT is located.

Even if places of Detector Mount(XD-451) and CRO are proper, what signal should we use as horizontal sweep signal for CRO ?

But according to lab manual (SWR=Square root of maximum voltage/Square root of minimum voltage).
Why we are taking the square root ?
It is because VSWR meter uses square-detector.

Can I apply the direct formula (SWR=maximum voltage/minimum voltage) to the square wave displayed on CRO ?
Back to original question.
If you set up VSWR measurement system using Slotted-Line, Detector, DUT and Storage Oscilloscope correctly, you have to take root of a displayed wave since it is a square wave created by square-detector.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back