Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodquilon

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using the microwave testbench shown in figure for Standing Wave Ratio measurement.
I have two choices:
one using VSWR Meter,other using CRO.
Can I apply the direct formula (SWR=maximum voltage/minimum voltage) to the square wave
displayed on CRO ?

But according to lab manual (SWR=Square root of maximum voltage/Square root of minimum

voltage). Why we are taking the square root ?

[img=http://s3.postimage.org/1bl5dl9xg/vswr.jpg]

Taken the square root you will get a voltage that is proportional to the RMS voltage of the waveform.

You can use VSWR = (max measured voltage) / (min measured voltage) = (incident wave amplitude + reflected wave amplitude) / (incident wave amplitude - reflected wave amplitude)

Pancho you must be very very young
I'm relative old.

CRO = Cathode Ray Oscilloscope
Thanks for teaching.

However why is CRO located in such place ?
Where is DUT ?

A Place where Detector Mount(XD-451) is located should be a place where DUT is located.

Even if places of Detector Mount(XD-451) and CRO are proper, what signal should we use as horizontal sweep signal for CRO ?

But according to lab manual (SWR=Square root of maximum voltage/Square root of minimum voltage).
Why we are taking the square root ?
It is because VSWR meter uses square-detector.

Can I apply the direct formula (SWR=maximum voltage/minimum voltage) to the square wave displayed on CRO ?
Back to original question.
If you set up VSWR measurement system using Slotted-Line, Detector, DUT and Storage Oscilloscope correctly, you have to take root of a displayed wave since it is a square wave created by square-detector.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…