Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip Balun Design using ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashwini Kundur

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I am designing a microstrip balun and plan to do it by using a Wilkinson divider to divide the signal into 2 signals with equal amplitude and then a Lange coupler to obtain 90 degree phase shift between the signals. The problem is with this design I am getting S(2,1) and S(3,1) more than -3 dB. What can be done to rectify this and bring S(2,1) and S(3,1) within -3 dB limits?

Here is a screen shot of S(2,1) that I am getting. Please help!

Capture.PNG

a lange coupler is 0/90 degrees, not -90/90. so the combination would not make up a "balun"

a lange coupler is 0/90 degrees, not -90/90. so the combination would not make up a "balun"

Yes! That is what I meant. We have 2 lange couplers in the design. One lange coupler gives -90 deg phase shift to one of the signals and 90 deg to the 2nd signal and together they make up 180 phase shift between them.

Hello

I am designing a microstrip balun and plan to do it by using a Wilkinson divider to divide the signal into 2 signals with equal amplitude and then a Lange coupler to obtain 90 degree phase shift between the signals. The problem is with this design I am getting S(2,1) and S(3,1) more than -3 dB. What can be done to rectify this and bring S(2,1) and S(3,1) within -3 dB limits?

Here is a screen shot of S(2,1) that I am getting. Please help!

View attachment 94289
-3dB loss is the theoritical value of Wilkinson Power Divider.In practice this loss will be a bit higher than this as same as you found.It's normal..

well if u are going to go to the trouble of using a splitter and two lange couplers....why not just make a balun in one piece: Marchand balun, lumped element balun, or if low enough frequency, a transformer from mini circuits, or even a splitter with a 180 degree line length on one output (possibly a shiffman section)?

With all those parts in the way, it will be hard for them to work in real world like a simulation might say they will, VSWR intractons and phase imballances

well if u are going to go to the trouble of using a splitter and two lange couplers....why not just make a balun in one piece: Marchand balun, lumped element balun, or if low enough frequency, a transformer from mini circuits, or even a splitter with a 180 degree line length on one output (possibly a shiffman section)?

With all those parts in the way, it will be hard for them to work in real world like a simulation might say they will, VSWR intractons and phase imballances

I have designed a marchand balun with broad coupled strip lines which works perfectly fine but I want to use coupled microstrip lines in the design. Any idea how to transform the circuit below to use coupled microstrip lines?

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 119

i don't design the balun in the second attachment, that is a document reference. S(2,1) and S(3,1) at -16 dB, it has -16dB transmitted.
i saw your design, you should add MTEE, M-Line for the design to like in the fact.
Resistors, capacitor, inductor you used like in the fact, the ADS has support library of supplier.
with shape of your design, you should check to ensure.
T-line.png

Last edited:

i don't design the balun in the second attachment, that is a document reference. S(2,1) and S(3,1) at -16 dB, it has -16dB transmitted.
i saw your design, you should add MTEE, M-Line for the design to like in the fact.
Resistors, capacitor, inductor you used like in the fact, the ADS has support library of supplier.
with shape of your design, you should check to ensure.

**broken link removed**

The attachment you have posted is not viewable. Can you please post it again. Thanks!

it should be sth like the attachment, but i don't optimize the value.
you should optimize it.

Attachments

• balun.JPG
    balun.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 198

I optimized one power divider for you. And the performance charts. I think that's OK.
I am curious about why you want to use MLANG? Do you just need 180 degree difference in phase between port2 and port3?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not use microstrip length difference to do so?

Attachments

• PowerDiv1.JPG
    PowerDiv1.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 145
  • PowerDiv2.JPG
    PowerDiv2.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 106
  • PowerDiv3.JPG
    PowerDiv3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 125
I optimized one power divider for you. And the performance charts. I think that's OK.
I am curious about why you want to use MLANG? Do you just need 180 degree difference in phase between port2 and port3?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not use microstrip length difference to do so?

Yes I need 180 deg phase shift between the signals at port 2 and port 3. I also tried using a microstrip line(coupled) to do so. Here is the circuit for it. Can you please help me out in optimizing this?Capture.PNG

Coupled line seem can OK, I am optimzing it for you, but you can try first, don't rely on me, I am a little busy in work.

- - - Updated - - -

it can divide into two step, first designa power divider, which I have done it for you.
The second is find an idea can cause 180 deg phase diff.

Can anyone tell me how to optimize values for MSTEP, MTAPER, MTEE and other such design elements. Is it a trial and error method or is there a specific way to design for these like the linecalculator we have for other elements?

Last edited:

That value is following the trace width values, not independent.
Can you tell me what is your specifications for freq band? 1G-4G is too wide.
AWR has some examples to design phase shifter, and MEMS pahse shifter can achieve 3G bandwidths in mm band.
ANd youc an also use some hybrid to shift the phase about 180 degree, Mini-Circuits has such ICs, but you need divide the freq bands,

That value is following the trace width values, not independent.
Can you tell me what is your specifications for freq band? 1G-4G is too wide.
AWR has some examples to design phase shifter, and MEMS pahse shifter can achieve 3G bandwidths in mm band.
ANd youc an also use some hybrid to shift the phase about 180 degree, Mini-Circuits has such ICs, but you need divide the freq bands,

The center frequency is 2.14 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back