Status
Not open for further replies.

jreynolds09

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering how to build a circuit to allow listening of my microphone ( such a a parabolic mic) through my headphones with out having a recording device in between the two. I don't want to run it through my computer either. I want to be able to take it into the woods and listen but without having to buy a device to act as a "middle-man". I just want to build a simple cheap audio amplifier that allows the mic to be "hard-wired" to it as the input and have the headphones just hook into it and listen. Preferably a 9v circuit or so. Any help or easy to follow schematics would be great. I have searched all over and everything I come across either requires using the computer or another expensive recording device. I was really hoping to just tap a $1 store radio or something to achieve the results. Please help!

Hi

The LM386 chip is ideal for driving headphones from a 9V battery. There are some example circuits in the datasheet here: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf.

The voltage gain is too low to connect directly to a microphone though, so you will need to add a simple microphone preamp such as the one below.

I was really hoping to just tap a $1 store radio or something to achieve the results.
That would be difficult to impossible with a radio, but may be fairly easy with an old portable cassette tape player. A good start would be to disconnect the tape head, and connect the microphone in it's place.

Regards - Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…