Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontrollers that have database inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicity

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MICROCONTROLLER

Hi!

I just wanna ask if there are microcontrollers that have database inside? If none, can you give some suggestions that can i use for recording of data?

I am making a project. A security system that uses a keypad. The concept of the project is when you entered the code the door will open and simultaneously the time that the door was open will be saved on a database or data storage. i want my project to be stand alone that's why i dont want to save the time of entering the door on a database in a PC. please i need your help.

Re: MICROCONTROLLER

You have to use memory chips for storing data and password.

there are lot of memory chips with various interface and size. Select one which suits you better.

If you need more memory, then you go far a usb pen drive
(interfacing to a micro is bit difficult)

Regards
Nandhu

why don't u think of using SD cards for your application?
i think if u go 4 high end processors like that of ARM you need not even want external memory interface.enough onchip memory is available.

another thing you have to confirm is wether you want to store single data and overwrite it every time or you must have a list of entries.

MICROCONTROLLER

Any database will be one you create.

Recording the data is only part of the solution,
how much data is needed to be stored?
how often it will be read?
how it will be read - by attached display, PC or other device?
What format is required for it to be read?

This will help determine how much memory is required, the format to best store and retrieve it and what interface/drivers will be required.

You micro should have as a minimum an RTC.
The database can store the datestamp of the entrys, as well as log the userID. You may also wish to save an Arm/Disarm tag or other userAction.

If the micro doesn't have enough internal memory, there are a number of options, such as the removable SD card mentioned above, serial eeproms, battery backed RAM, ... the list goes on.

The clearer you can be in defining your project and its constraints the greater the chance you will achieve the outcome you want.

Why don't you just buy an alarm panel. Most of the major panel manufacturers today have "event buffers" that can store system events in memory with a time/date stamp. Some smaller panels will store 255 events on a FIFO basis. Larger panels can go up to 800 events. There are some panels available with a printer adaptor module that allows you to put a serial/parallel printer on the keypad bus that will print out events. Smallest panel with 255 event buffer costs less than $60.00 US. Panel with 800 event buffer sells for less that $125.00 US.

Why re-invent the wheel when its already been done.

BobK

MICROCONTROLLER

Bob is right in the big picture,

but sometimes a project is more fun just for the Learning ( Learning - the sensation of banging your head against a wall to the verge of unconsciousness trying to figure out how something works, then more head banging afterwords when it is understood, because it suddenly becomes obvious in its simplicity).
:)

Actually the proposal of the project was already approved and it is fixed. I am doing a thesis project. what i've said last time is just part of my project. I am doing a vault security system. The concept is having 2 codes using keypad and biometric fingerprint scanner the system will do two optional task. First, By using CODE 1 and fingerprint scanner the vault will open and then records the time and date of access on a data storage. Second, By using CODE 2 and fingerprint scanner the vault will open and then the system will send SMS. Any comments or suggestions please? By this time I can't decide which will I do first? I am only beginner of using microcon.

I think SD card is the best solution as mentioned by dharanidhar.
you need to learn SPI protocols to interface SD memory cards..

Status
Not open for further replies.