Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller parallel programming, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andro

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to make a project , but this project dependence on 2 timers
working at the same time. i want enable then at the same time
the first one i named as (main timer) and duration is 30 minutes

it will enable another timer counts for 5 minutes and relay too for and takes a rest for 50 seconds and starting again
5 minutes to enable another relay and again rest and so on to complete 30 minutes.
i want to make 7-segments to display both counters
and uses push buttons to adjust the timing
but i am thinking that,parallel or independent programming
to make two independent sequence at the same time
is not available in programming microcontroller and to achieve that i should use 2 pic microcontrollers
one counts for the main timer and the other counters for sub timer.
what do you think about that ?
can i make parallel programming with one microcontroller or i should
use more microcontroller and the result controlled by one microcontroller??

Dear Andro,

You should use single timer micro-controller with two timers. Such micro-controller are easily available.

Regards,
Gapoo

If you need a 30 minute timer, a 5 minute timer and a 50 second timer, why not use a single timer that is programmed for 10 seconds, and
use that as a 'tick'? Each time the interrupt kicks in (i.e. every 10 seconds), you can increment counters. If the counter reaches 5 then you know
50 seconds has elapsed; if a counter reaches 30 then 5 minutes has elapsed and so on... This is normal practise. You don't need to use hardware
timer resources for single event timing only, because that would never scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.