Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller or Microprocessor??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_seeker

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,

I just want to know which is better microcontroller or microprocessor ,

what are the advantages and the disadvantages each of them have???

which is recommended when design a system if you are a student??

Thanks alot

They are not the same thing. Each one has its own purpose, but it does not obstacle you to use one or other for a determined use.

For example, if you want to design a computer, a microprocessor is a better choice, but it can be also done with a microcontroller, the design and programmation will be harder and perhaps more costly, the performance will not reach the uP performance.

In the other hand, if you want a circuit to control a single home appliance, you do not have to use a powerful microprocessor like Pentium with megabytes of RAM, etc etc. A simple but efficient microcontroller can do the same task for a minimum cost and more efficient design.

In the past, microprocessors were used for all programmable circuits, but it involves the utilization of an infrastructure circuitry to make things work (you need external memory, I/O ports, communication ports, converters, etc).
Microcontrollers have almost all you need in one integrated circuit, just to simplify your design and lower the cost. They may already have RAM, EEPROM, FLASH memories embedded, high currents I/O ports, communications peripherals, A/D converters, etc This simplifies the hardware.

truth_seeker said:
Hello ,

I just want to know which is better microcontroller or microprocessor ,

what are the advantages and the disadvantages each of them have???

which is recommended when design a system if you are a student??

Thanks alot
As I understand, microcontroller is like a microcomputer, it has lots of peripherals in addition to the core which helps to make a whole micropr system with a help of only one device. And microprocessor is jast a microprocessor itself.

Microcontroller has a microprocessor inside it. Generally microcontrollers are used for small applications and where the programming memory space availability is low.

I think at the student level micrcontroller will do a lot because of its simple hardware structure with many features. Also I hope the system that you are going to develop is not a complex one. So better to use a microcontroller.

The microcontroler is a microprocessor with integrated interfaces. which make it a kind of portable device, it may be inserted into a easily system who needs to be autonomous.

You cannont make comparision between these devices. everyone has his applications.

Thank you for your replies , now the picture is clearer

but i have a silly question..what exactly makes the microcontroller a single purpose microprocessor ..is it that it doesn't have a big RAM for example..or what exactly??

Thanks again!!

truth_seeker said:
Thank you for your replies , now the picture is clearer

but i have a silly question..what exactly makes the microcontroller a single purpose microprocessor ..is it that it doesn't have a big RAM for example..or what exactly??

Thanks again!!

Check out the link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcontroller

Cheers

your question is not silly dear,
A microprocessor chip comprisies a CPU and a bus controller only. There is intgerated memories so you have to add external memory chip (ROM and RAM). Also if you need I/O (which you certainly will), you will have to add I/O chips and so on. Being external, all of these peripheral are easily expandable and versatile.

A microcontroller, however, comprises a CPU, bus controller, ROM, RAM, I/O, and etc on the same chip. Being internal, make expansion less easier.

Here the application is what to dictate which one to use. In a PC, will need the versatility of a microprocessor. In control applications (embedded systems), however, you do not need this versatitlity. On the contrary, you need to save space and cost. So the microcontroller is the solution.

What makes a microcontroller a single purpose microprocessor, is that you dictate it to control a single appliance all the time. It just does the same job all the time. Imagine the microcontroller inside your printer, will it ever do anything rather than controlling the printer?

Thanks alot for your replies and for your explanations , I appreciate it

it make things obvious to me

Thank u

Status
Not open for further replies.