Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller Design issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonn

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
issue of microcontroller

I need a microcontroller that has the following features

1- I Can put 30K LUT inside its flash ROM

2- I Can save a number and keep it after turning off the controller and then reload it and change it next time it powers up

3- I can program it on circuit using In Circuit Programmer (like JTAG in FPGA) without adding any extra circuits on the PCB board.

Can anybody help ?

avr lut in flash

I think, some microcontrollers from ARM7 family would work for you.

1. Don't know what LUT is.
2. What you are describing is called non-volatile memory. Usually it's EEPROM.
3. ARMs have JTAG.

Hi,

A larger PIC would fit your needs, for instance
PIC18F4685 has 96K FLASH and 1K data EEPROM,
PIC18F2682 has 80K FLASH and 1K data EEPROM,
PIC18F2585 has 48K FLASH and 1K data EEPROM.

You shoud take into account the speed you need, how large is the rest of the application, beside the LUT, the number of I/Os, price, etc

Atmel also has a few large 8-bit microcontrollers, from the ATMega series.

Best Regards

A LUT is a Look Up Table. Typically this is a hex image that gets uploaded into FLASH. Essentially you want a microcontroller that has a large FLASH ROM and the ability to read this FLASH from executing code. Atmel AVR parts can do this, PICs may also have this feature, I do not currently use them.

The stored data is easiest placed into EEPROM, which was already mentioned.

For reprogramming, Atmel AVR has the ability to use a bootloader. This small program allows you to reprogram via a serial port. Their parts also support ISP programming and JTAG programming. Again, PICs may have the same features.

Vonn said:
I need a microcontroller that has the following features

1- I Can put 30K LUT inside its flash ROM
AVR may work well (Atmega64, Atmega128...)

Vonn said:
2- I Can save a number and keep it after turning off the controller and then reload it and change it next time it powers up

Yes you can use built in EEPROM for saving constants and modifying them at any time during program flow.

Vonn said:
3- I can program it on circuit using In Circuit Programmer (like JTAG in FPGA) without adding any extra circuits on the PCB board.

AVR microcontrollers can be programmed using simple ISP, bootloader or JTAG(mega series). These doesn't require additional circuits in the board except connectors. I Believe other brand microcontrollers may work well. I would say, it also depends on what performance do you wan to achieve. and what design it is going to be. Any special peripherals power down modes etc...

I offer you AVR atmega128 , it can handle all you want .

Status
Not open for further replies.