Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[51] Microcontroller basics

Status
Not open for further replies.
And is that right that 89c2051 can be reprogrammed, if required, but 89s52 is only one-time programmable. Well, that's what I could make out from the their data sheets with the latter not having no mention of the word reprogrammable there. Please guide.

Posted via Topify on Android

Thank you arun and ashad.

While this is clear now, I still have the concern that how does the programming of 89c2051 and 89s52 differ? I understand that the latter supports isp. And I'm going to need an already programmed board for this because it doesn't come with a bootloader unlike the 89v51rd2. But then how does one go about programming the 89c2051 using the USB port on the laptop?

Thanks

Thank you arun and ashad.

While this is clear now, I still have the concern that how does the programming of 89c2051 and 89s52 differ? I understand that the latter supports isp. And I'm going to need an already programmed board for this because it doesn't come with a bootloader unlike the 89v51rd2. But then how does one go about programming the 89c2051 using the USB port on the laptop?

Thanks

89c2051 and other c series are older version micro controllers which required high voltage for programming. so it required special programmer unlike isp programmer. just continue your work with 89s52 or rd2 series and you will under stand about these things

why you don't start with 89v51rd2 because this is easy to program with flash magic from nxp ,you can progeam with laptop usb (usiging usb to rs232). if any help you need for this post me
trhanks

@arun
The reason I don't find rd2 that attractive is because, though it has the bootloader already onto it, the extra cost makes me think that if I am going to buy an MCU which is so expensive, why not rather go for an MCU (89s52) + minimal programmer? The cost works out to be the same in both cases and cost is a big concern in this project. Moreover, once the project is all complete and I have used the MCU in the circuit, I will atleast be left with a programming board for my future projects. Don't you think that that makes much more sense?

How much is AT89S52 ? 1 or 2 $ ? Why not a PIC16F877A or PIC16F887 ? They have I2C, SPI, UART, ADC, etc... You don't have to spend for external ADC. You just have to buy a PIC and a PICKit3 programmer. If you decide to buy PIC then buy the PIC18F2550 or 18F4550. They have USB also. You can do USB HID, USB VCP and USB CDC projects.

@milan
The only concern with a PIC is the learning curve. As for 51, I do have a vague idea about its instruction set. For PIC, I'll have to start afresh and if I really have to do that, maybe I'll be more interested in AVR than PIC.
Thanks for the suggestion anyways. I'll look into the extent of learning involved in the PIC MCUs that you suggested.

The first I looked into was the cost of the PIC MCUs suggested, they are way too expensive. Almost the cost of 89v51rd2 (?). So the total cost of PIC MCU + pickit3 will be way more than the sanctioned budget of the project. So your 2 suggestions for the PIC MCUs are a no-no for this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.