Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Method of Determining Board Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPalombini

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've designed a few four layer boards, but never know what size board I should start with. Is there any method that is normally used to determine what a 'good' starting size for a board is?

Normall the board size is depend on your need. You have to check with the case that you want to fit.

Added after 3 minutes:

For the standard size, you could also check in IPC-2221

Depends on what you are working on. For me, most of the boards I work on are either PCI or PCI Express, so the size the board is defined in the PCI specification. However, if I am working on a test board where I can make the size however big I want, I usually check with the board house to see what their standard panel size is then optimize my board size so that I can get the most boards per panel with the least amount of waste.

Hi,

There are many parameters to take into account before choosing layer stackup.Usually four layers are used for different reasons,for instance it may be due to complexity of the circuit,Emi issues,Mixed signal,controlled impedance,Application of your design etc...i would appreciate if PCB & SI gurus out here shed some light on this subject.

Regards

Ramesh

I usually try & export from schematic to PCB rats nest, then auto place around a board outline (very small square) and then the space they take up is my starting point.

It usually needs to get bigger though.

Other ways to work it out involve holding a wet finger in the air, going "ooh it'll need to be big" and whatever space I'm given to fit it in.

Usually the board dimensions are amongst the last to be decided upon when a product is being designed.

We have to put up with whatever space is left :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back