bmandl

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Homemade metal enclosure, how to build?

Hello!
I think this is the base problem of all electronic engineers. We all know how to build a device -> PCB, but when it comes to putting this PCB in some enclosure, we have a problem. At least, I am that way. I would like to know, how you guys make metal enclosures for your PCB-s. Do anyone has any foto of his home-made enclosure for some device? I know, there are many methods for doing this, but I want to see as much as possible solutions. Maybe I get the idea for my own.
Thank you!

yup... you're absolutely right.

So far i've only needed to venture into using ABS enclusures, and a good quality box makes a huge difference. Plus of course making those holes is the easiest thing to do, except for the rectangular apertures !!!

here's some pics from my last venture -- an 8 channel bidirectional (hall sensor pickups, optional manual controls) dc motor controller

despite taking all precautions, its still hard to get everything in a perfect straight line

Re: Homemade metal enclosure, how to build?

You can buy already produced boxes on market. I usually buy boxes, and when I making PCB I define PCB dimesions and holes according to that box.

kripacharya, it looks good. But I have to make metal case, because I will use bnc connector, witch I have to ground. I was thinking of making PCB first on minimal surface, that can be made to keep good signal integritete and minimal connection length because of high frequencies. Then, when I finish my design in Altium, is there any option to export dimensions and 3d PCB step model to SolidWorks, where I will design my metal case?
Is there anyone, who ever made a metal case himself? I was thinking of two aluminium profiles, screwed together..how could I do that? Any ideas?

I made several times with aluminium, and its ok, but to much time has been invested, because of that I write post #3.

If I find one nice device, he have box welded with TIG, after welding I polish welding points and rest surface, box is perfect. I will make few photos if i find box. I put power supply with transformer inside.

I buy aluminium plate 1m x 1m 1mm and I give dimensions for cutting on professional machine.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.