Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

metal case, housing, enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmandl

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Homemade metal enclosure, how to build?

Hello!
I think this is the base problem of all electronic engineers. We all know how to build a device -> PCB, but when it comes to putting this PCB in some enclosure, we have a problem. At least, I am that way. I would like to know, how you guys make metal enclosures for your PCB-s. Do anyone has any foto of his home-made enclosure for some device? I know, there are many methods for doing this, but I want to see as much as possible solutions. Maybe I get the idea for my own.
Thank you!

yup... you're absolutely right.

So far i've only needed to venture into using ABS enclusures, and a good quality box makes a huge difference. Plus of course making those holes is the easiest thing to do, except for the rectangular apertures !!!

here's some pics from my last venture -- an 8 channel bidirectional (hall sensor pickups, optional manual controls) dc motor controller

despite taking all precautions, its still hard to get everything in a perfect straight line

Re: Homemade metal enclosure, how to build?

Hello!
I think this is the base problem of all electronic engineers. We all know how to build a device -> PCB, but when it comes to putting this PCB in some enclosure, we have a problem. At least, I am that way. I would like to know, how you guys make metal enclosures for your PCB-s. Do anyone has any foto of his home-made enclosure for some device? I know, there are many methods for doing this, but I want to see as much as possible solutions. Maybe I get the idea for my own.
Thank you!

You can buy already produced boxes on market. I usually buy boxes, and when I making PCB I define PCB dimesions and holes according to that box.

kripacharya, it looks good. But I have to make metal case, because I will use bnc connector, witch I have to ground. I was thinking of making PCB first on minimal surface, that can be made to keep good signal integritete and minimal connection length because of high frequencies. Then, when I finish my design in Altium, is there any option to export dimensions and 3d PCB step model to SolidWorks, where I will design my metal case?
Is there anyone, who ever made a metal case himself? I was thinking of two aluminium profiles, screwed together..how could I do that? Any ideas?

I made several times with aluminium, and its ok, but to much time has been invested, because of that I write post #3.

If I find one nice device, he have box welded with TIG, after welding I polish welding points and rest surface, box is perfect. I will make few photos if i find box. I put power supply with transformer inside.

I buy aluminium plate 1m x 1m 1mm and I give dimensions for cutting on professional machine.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.