Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Memory fading about turntable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all... This should fit well on 'Retro'

In late 1969 - Jan. 1970, the rich father of a friend had an expensive stereo equipment. Stuck in my retina for decades, the turntable featured a drooling "Jewel mounted" mechanisms and the number of jewels on it. Cannot say for sure the brand/model but smells to me like JVC. It was an era of superb refinement on the tiniest fancy pursuit of audio fidelity and remarkable workmanship continuing all the seventies.
Does anyone know any detail about or seen such jewel mounted tonearm, search engines have not helped yet. Just a nostalgic obsession, nothing important, and I was not dreaming.

All tone arms had some sort of bearing. "Jewel" movements
are nicely low friction (like in watches) but so common that
maybe nobody talks much about them other than in the
sales literature (like, why mention the car comes with 4
tires, when it's expected?).

I don't know any turntable using jewels other than good quality bearings.
Not even the $47000 one in the link below don't use jewels for reducing friction.

**broken link removed**

Thanks, now I understand. Initially I was skeptical using jewels only for reducing friction in a turntable.
But Teres tri-pivot design mentioned that actually main reason is to "reduces vibration and chatter to unprecedented low levels"...which make sense...

I’m pretty skeptical of the actual improvement in sound quality. It’s more marketing than engineering.

I had an interview years ago with a high-end audio company. Their chief designer came right out and told me they make amps with 0.001% distortion for people who have the money and want to brag about it. Nobody can hear the difference between 0.1%(or even higher) and 0.001%.

Good find, Barry. Thanks. That Teres "high-end" tonearm featuring jewels too. By some weird memory flash, it may be also a Kenwood or Sherwood brand the one I saw in 1969. Its tonearm was not wood but silverish metal. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.