Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the impedance of the balance port of balun chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

btom

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
impedance balance -patent

Hi,

Can someone provide some pointers on, if possible, to measure the impedance of the balance port of a balun chip with a 2-port network analyzer? Thanks.

common mode rejection balun measurement

Basically, you can connect another (auxilary) balun to the VNA and perform a calibration at it's balanced side (using a suitable termination resistor). There may be a considerable error due to the limited common mode rejection of the aux balun. Also the results for the D.U.T possibly depend on the actual common mode termination. This would mean, that the D.U.T can't be characterized completely by a single differential impedance.

Re: Measuring the impedance of the balance port of balun chi

FvM,

Thanks for the reply. However, I am not very clear what you are suggesting. In some of app notes that I have found shows (1) insertion loss measurement with two baluns with the balanced ports connected together and the unbalanced port of each balun going to the VNA, and (2) Return loss mesaurement with the one balun with unbalanced port going to the VNA and a resistor across the balanced ports.

I know that the unbalanced port is 50ohms, but I do not any of the characteristics of the balanced port. . Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back