Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring phase greater than 360 degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twisha

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am using IQ detection for measuring phase of a signal. However, I am unable to differentiate between signals which have phase 'ph' and 'ph'+n*360, where n is an integer.Kindly help.

one way would be to duplicate you phase detector but with a fixed 90 degree offset. My idea is based on if one signal is phase retarding so as to come into phase with the other, the output from your main detect would be 2.0, while the output from the second detector would be 1.4, now if the phase continues to retard the output from the main detector will fall, if the phase advances it will also fall. The output from the second detector would rise in one direction and fall in the other. So with an analoge window detector and a bit of logic you work out which direction the phase is changing and have an up/down counter to count up the number of times the phases change in the + direction and down count the number of times the phase changes in the - direction.
Frank

Reactions: Twisha

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Twisha

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If the signal you are trying to measure for phase is periodic then there is no difference between a phase of 'ph' and a phase of 'ph'+360. In short you are trying to draw a distiction without a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.