Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring internal resistance of a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bongkk

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can a capacitor ESR meter be used to measure the internal resistance of a battery?

Hey I think if you connect a resistor(Rs) across the battery and measure the voltage(Vs) drop across the resistor.

Current From battery I = Vs/Rs

Battery Voltage (Vbat)

Vbat = Vs + I*Rint (Internal resistance of the battery) and solve for Rint.

Iam not sure whats the application and the accuracy . But this measurement should be reasonable if you can get an accurate Rs.

I am not sure if you can use an ESR meter to do that..

I am open for corrections.

Depends on your definition of internal resistance and the features of your LCR meter.

If not specified otherwise, internal resistance would be understood as a DC parameter as discussed by barath_87.
It should be determined by measuring a voltage drop in loaded condition. But a battery also has a frequency dependent
impedance. It can be measured with a LCR meter (if it can handle the DC voltage) or a similar instrument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back