Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Measuring high voltage and high currents ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chacmool

Hello,

I would like to construct a power line monitor. So, i need to measure high voltage and high currents in order to be treated by a microcontroller. What kind of sensor do i use for that?? what about the signal conditioning between the sensors and the A/D converters? ...
any hint will be gratefully ..

chak-mool

Does anyone has a circuit to

Hi,

What do you mean for high voltage ...

If it is to the power line (240v), you can use a meter tranformer to get the voltage and a hall sensor to probe the current. Usualy the hall sensor can deal with about 100A.

regards bastos

Hi,

I'm trying to monitor around 400A@450Vca ..

the sensor i've seen for currents give me a signal 0-5A .. so, a question : does anybody know a circuit to conditioning this signal in on order to put it to the A/D converter?? ..

2nd. what about the voltage measurements ?? what to use for that?

thanks,

chak-mool

Take a look at cyrrus logic, Texas instruments at the Mps430 section and Analog devices. They have power measurement chips and very nice application notes available.

Best regards,
Alexg

On 2001-10-13 06:52, backdoor_ wrote:
The easiest way of doing this is using a CT and a PT.
Both outputs have been converted to low voltage, all you have to do is level-shifting.

Converting to RMS for measuring can also be very processing intensive. If you need RMS power look at the chips to do it in hardware.

Best regards,
Alexg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back