Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Measuring current without using shunt resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

You know a FET has a gate and a source. And as I told you before V_gs is the voltage between these two pins.
Then please connect a voltmeter to these two pins as FvM told you, and see what happens.

It seems you are not reading our posts...Please just try...

Klaus

Hi,

As you can see the MOSFET is switched OFF now. So at least one of your questions is answered.

To make it more visible for you, I recommend to use the third voltmeter as true V_gs voltmeter.
(Now you measure the voltage between gate and GND. This is not of interest.)
--> Measure the voltage between gate and source instead and you will better understand the circuit/datasheet.

After you have done this, you can read V_gs to be very near to zero.
But as soon as you press the button (to switch ON the FET) you will see 38V at V_gs. This is too much.
Therfore you need a resistor in series with your pushbutton lines. Use 15k and see what happens.

post your new schematic (using the "insert image" button).

Klaus

So what I learned from you is
1 One can put source power rail to gate of PMOS even if is > then V gs
2 One should subtract negative voltage from source power rail voltage to get the voltage with in the safe boundaries of V gs specified in data sheet. which is in this case is around 15 Volts

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/8570859600_1444075241.jpg

Hi,

Try to see it from the FET's view.
It has three connections, G, D, S.
It does not know what GND is.
It can only see V_gs, V_ds, V_gd.
Now to the currents.
DC gate current is considered to be zero, therefore I_d = I_s (to be exact: -I_s)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.