Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring a 1GHZ Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hioyo

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to check 1GHz clock on board.May I know what probe and oscilloscope to be used.

My understanding is I need to use an oscilloscope with 5Ghz BW and an active probe.

Please correct me if I am wron

You give us little information about what you’re trying to measure.

Are you trying to measure frequency? Rise time? Jitter? You don’t necessarily have to use an active probe, as long as it has high enough bandwidth and it doesn’t load your circuit.

Are you trying to measure frequency? Rise time? Jitter? You don’t necessarily have to use an active probe, as long as it has high enough bandwidth and it doesn’t load your circuit.
Thank you . I am measuring frequency and rise time.
Will we get high bandwidth passive probes which can measure 1Ghz

Maybe you should try a search for something like “1GHz passive oscilloscope probe”. Try it.

But, yes, there are 1 GHz passive probes (that’s about the upper limit for passives) but they’re no good for measuring rise time on a 1 GHz signal. The rule of thumb is bandwidth= 0.35/risetime.

Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Maybe you should try a search for something like “1GHz passive oscilloscope probe”. Try it.

But, yes, there are 1 GHz passive probes (that’s about the upper limit for passives) but they’re no good for measuring rise time on a 1 GHz signal. The rule of thumb is bandwidth= 0.35/risetime.
but what about the loading from passive probes

What about it? I don't know your circuit. Only YOU can determine if the probe loading is a problem.
In general loading will be more for passive probes.Please correct me If I am wrong

In general loading will be more for passive probes.Please correct me If I am wrong
You are not wrong. But that doesn't mean it won't work. Or that it will work. Millions of passive probes are used everyday with no problems.

Again, without knowing ANYTHING about your circuit (or the probe in question) no one can tell you if the probe impedance will be a problem or not.

Reactions: hioyo

hioyo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are not wrong. But that doesn't mean it won't work. Or that it will work. Millions of passive probes are used everyday with no problems.

Again, without knowing ANYTHING about your circuit (or the probe in question) no one can tell you if the probe impedance will be a problem or not.
Thank you.Probe needs to have a minimum bandwidth of 5Ghz or more.Please correct me if I am wrong

Thank you.Probe needs to have a minimum bandwidth of 5Ghz or more.Please correct me if I am wrong
What's your risetime? See post #4.

And, you insist upon not giving any information of what you're trying to do, or what you want to look at, or what your circuit is. or any information that would enable us to provide an intelligent answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back