Not open for further replies.

hatela

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hii all,
I am doing a summer rf project on cellphone booster, specifically a 850Mhz/1900Mhz bidirectional amplifier.
I am new to rf, just started self learning it. I have an oscilloscope 15Mhz BK precision 1477, I wanted to ask if it would be any use in measuring when I build a prototype board.

Thanks

Hi,
This Oscilloscope for ur project is very less use, but u can use this to measure DC values and also u can make use to measure RF power by means of external RF detector. build ur own RF detector by using simple Schottky diode and connect this ckt to o/p of ur amplifier to measure DC voltage equivalent of RF power.

regards
roshni

hatela

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You need a scope whose BW is greater that the frequency of the signal you are measuring (assuming a simple sine wave).
So if you want to see 800-900 MHz signal in time domain you will need a scope with 1GHz of more BW.
The detector approach will not give you much information except that the signal is there with some XX amplitude/power.
And the diode approach works better with signal levels lower than about -20dBm.

Its so, he has a simple small bandwidth scope_I think in reality no chance to organize a higher bandwidth type, and 1 GHz so & so not.
I know otherwise, that good scopes (i.e. Tek & LeCroy, maybe HP too) have a linear roll-off of 6dB/octave, what means if you have to test a 900MHz signal & the trigger is in function usually so 2-40% over nominal bandwidth: relative sure is that you can apply a 500 MHz scope for a 900MHz signal, but I know=its a poormans solution, & possible will the scope not trigger.
In all case is the amplitude good predictable and to see...
For 1.8GHz clearly is only a detector to use_or some expensive scope...
Alternative can be in my opinion, a spectrum analyzer, but their are in 1.8GHz version not in all home labors too... :-(
Other important question is for me: where is the test signal from?
K.

hatela

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…