Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MC PCB fails in H.V test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anil Vaidya

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends

our MC PCB is failing in H.V test of 1.5 KV / 10 ma for a one minute. we modify clip-page and clearance distance
and found PCB works up to 1.2 KV/10 ma for one minute. Why it fails at 1.5 KV input .
Please suggest.

Maybe the PCB board's fiber plate is acting like a dielectric substance. In RF designs, these fiber boards has significant effect on stray capacitance & antenna matching. One real life example I can share is a tubelight's ballast circuit I had. It often gets short in its 300v(rectified) & 0v trace lines. They are not touching, but are placed much close. But I bought a new ballast of same company, having same circuit design, but still working well. So I concluded its the quality of PCB which could matter. PCBs are mostly made for L.V applications. So maybe not all PCBs can handle such H.V.

for 1.5 KV ,10mA how much clearence and creepage u have used?

Safety standards require both, sufficient clearance/creepage by design and HV test. Failure in test suggests inappropriate PCB design.

Yes we check and made the clip page and clearance distance clear. but when we conduct H.V test , MC PCB acts a capacitor i.e. the between earth
and the track dielectric media is there and form the capacitance and when the H.V test is conducted , it gives arcing on the broads and LED dimmed glow

What's the actual clearance at the place where arcing occured?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back