Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX232 voltage supply - need help in a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bateman

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MAX232 voltage supply

Hi There.

I have a battery operated circuit where i need to convert TTL 0-3V to -4V low and +4V high. I was going to use a MAX232, however I'm unsure of the voltage supplies I wire to the MAX to output these voltages. How do I get -4V and +4V on the Vs- and Vs+ terminals? (pins 2 and 6) My circuit power supply is simply a +12V battery so I can't just wire it to the voltage rails.

**broken link removed**

Any help would be much appreciated.

MAX232 voltage supply

You only have to connect power to Vcc - the chip generates the other voltages. Refer to the datasheet for the correct capacitor values and connecitons.

MAX232 voltage supply

I don't understand, the MAX232 can generate voltages HIGHER than its supply?

Re: MAX232 voltage supply

Bateman said:
I don't understand, the MAX232 can generate voltages HIGHER than its supply?
Yeah, it uses charge pumps! From the Datasheet:
The MAX220–MAX249 have two internal charge-pumps
that convert +5V to ±10V (unloaded) for RS-232 driver
operation. The first converter uses capacitor C1 to double
the +5V input to +10V on C3 at the V+ output. The
second converter uses capacitor C2 to invert +10V to
-10V on C4 at the V- output.
There's a reason that manufacturers put the time and money into creating datasheets. You really should try reading them - it will help you understand how the device works.

Re: MAX232 voltage supply

the matter isn't about voltage higher than the supply voltage, yes the IC can generate higher voltage than the supply, the output will be 12 and -12 volts use either LM317 voltage regulator to get 4 volts or potentiometer to get 4 & -4 volts.
but take care the maximum output current is very low (nearly 30mA), refer to the datasheet to make sure.
Good luck

MAX232 voltage supply

So C1 and C2 will always be 1uF? I thought their value might control the magnitudes of the outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.