Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX232 over heating, even without any connection to controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are running on common power supply.

And yea when i was googling about my problem, some where i found that this problem is profound in max232. and some people seems to have fixed this problem by placing a series resistor in supply pin. Seems like that will prevent latching up. Yet to try that

Are you sure about Max reference
if you have Max3232 instead of MAX232 you need to use 0.1µF instead of 1.0µF, else overheating...

Yea its max232 itself,

Also let me remind again, its working sometimes, when its working, it works as long as power is up, but when it restarts, it stops working..

so, we can suspect also software !
did you manage Frame error and Overrun error in UART software ?
if UART detect this kind of error , receive part is blocked if no treatment applied for.

Iam not familiar with these terms. :)..
my code works really well in proteus.
Also it doesn't send high amount of data or anything, I just need to get info on status of 5 pins, so iam encoding it to single byte and sending the byte over..

and i noticed some thing today, my cable length is 12m long, but communication seems to be working without max232 also. So is it going to work well all the time.. or i will run into noise problems anytime ?

in one of the forums i saw that adding a resistor in series with vcc might solve the problem, and i did that, and seems like problem is solved.

now latch becomes unstable so it doesnt heatup.

Status
Not open for further replies.