Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX232 output problem? (solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rprodrigues

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
max 232 problem

Hi all,

I have been facing some problems with outputs from MAX232 ICs.

I am trying to use an MAX232, a PIC (18F2620) and some other stuff in a circuit to receive data from a GPS by means of an software USART (at 4800 bauds). To do it, I connected one of the pins of the PIC in use do detect the H-to-L variations of the signal do receive. This H-to-L variation is used to trigger the init of the process to receive the serial data.

The problem I realized is that the MAX232 output pin, when there is a voltage of 0 to -12V at the related input PIN, oscillates with a frequency of about 43 kHz.

Is it a regular behavior of the MAX232N IC or it may be any other problem with my circuit?

I have already tested several units of the MAX232N IC, even out of the my circuit, and the output always oscillates when inputs of 0 to -12V are applied.

In my opinion, it is not a problem of my circuits since I am following the manufacturer "typical operation circuit".

Any help would be appreciated,
Rodrigo

max232 circuit

In my opinion, it is not a problem of my circuits since I am following the manufacturer "typical operation circuit".

Most likely not!

max232 not receiving

Put a capacitor across the Max 232 supply line. A value of about 10u should do. I seem to recall this is the recommendation in the data sheet.

max232 problem

From the observation, the capacitor at -12V is missing or not connected correct.

max232 not working

To do it, I connected one of the pins of the PIC in use do detect the H-to-L variations of the signal do receive. This H-to-L variation is used to trigger the init of the process to receive the serial data.

The problem I realized is that the MAX232 output pin, when there is a voltage of 0 to -12V at the related input PIN, oscillates with a frequency of about 43 kHz.

as it is related to the serial data coming from gps module , keep serial int always active , if any data come on it , it automatically goto the int vector routine.

it is just possibility, it may be wrong !

is max232 damaged

Hi,

See the attachment, which is a application note on MAX232. You check the design with this.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara
CRL-BEL

serial pic max232 always sending problem

muralicrl said:
Hi,

See the attachment, which is a application note on MAX232. You check the design with this.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara
CRL-BEL

Hi all,

Thank you for every one who gave me any direction.

Dear davidgm,

I realized that I should had put an capacitor between the pins 2 and 6 of the MAX232 IC.

rprodrigues

max232 + 12 v circuit

Hi!

I have question about MAX232N..... If I put +10V (-10V) to pin R1IN should I aspect 0V (5V) at pin R1OUT ? ? ?

..... because I read 1V (0.7V) ... which is not in PIC Level response... thx.

If I put +10V (-10V) to pin R1IN should I aspect 0V (5V) at pin R1OUT ? ? ?
Yes, exactly. If you see an intermediate voltage, R1OUT maý be loaded inappropriately, MAX232 supply is missing or the chip is damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back