Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MAX232 output always negative

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmith8917

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to connect a MAX232 IC to a dspic33F to perform rs232 communication with a PC. I've wired up my MAX232 and when I give it a 5v signal, I get -8.5v out, but when I give it 0v I am getting -5v out. I've checked the wiring again and again, but I can't seem to find the problem. I have it connected just like in this schematic RS232_adapter.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why have you used different channels for input and output (R1 and T2)?

Thanks for the reply. That was a mistake in the diagram, but I actually have everything connected to channel 2.

Your -5v seems low, for me it is about -9v.

I just tries with a max232 and I got -9.5 with 5v input and +9.5 with 0v input so maybe something is wrong in your circuit.

What is the voltage at pins 2 and 6 referred to the ground?

pin 2: +8.4v
pin 6: -8.1v

Thanks again for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Just as a note, I've tried using channel 1 as well and I'm still getting the same result:

5v in -> -8.5v out
0v in -> -5v out

Are you testing with the PC side plug unconnected, maybe if you have it connected it is effecting the result.

Your pin1 and 6 voltages seem good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back