Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Mathmatical concept(square root of min*max)

Status
Not open for further replies.

petelee

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I studied electronic circuit design book, I encountered this mathematical thing.

If X has this range (a < X < b), then the suggested X value is like this.

X = SQRT(a*b).

It's not average or something else. I don't remember this thing from my old math study. Could you anybody help me with the mathematical concept name so that I can refer to website?

Thanks in advance!!

X = SQRT(a*b).
As godfreyl said, it is the geometric mean. Its value in setting X between the min and max (a and b) is this: Suppose that the value you set for X is only an initial value and that it might change over time. And suppose you want to be assured that even after X changes it will still remain between a and b. And suppose that the amount X changes is proportional to the initial value of X. Then the best you can do to assure X stays between a and b is to use the geometric mean.

Thanks a lot! Now I know what it is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.