Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Master controller: DSP and FPGA interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mess123

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am wondered by the use of both FPGA and DSP in a system controller used in the industry?? Why do we use both of them?? I know that DSP are good for signal/math processing and FPGA for simple operations with more faster execution time but when they are interfaced together, what sort of job is done by FPGA and by DSP?? Also which one will be main controller? What type of application would require both FPGA and DSP??

Hi, I have worked in projects requiring both and in fact currently working in one which has both FPGA and DSP.
Our usage of both is helpful in that FPGA acts an interface to the master CPU and other peripherals to collect data that the DSP would require to manipulate/ process.
Then the output is shared to FPGA to either answer back the master CPU or control the peripherals connected.
Some domain areas where products are released in this fashion would include Avionics and Medical Electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.