Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Make my own UPS with my inverter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprouts

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am having AC cycle drop apparently. My computer does not like it very much I think.

I was hoping to solve the issue by creating my own UPS with my inverter system permanently connected to the charger at the same time as the battery so everything wired in parallel.

I have a deep cycle AGM battery 100A/H with a 1500w pure sine wave inverter.

Would that work, is it safe ?
I have a very good intelligent charger AGM specific so hopefully that should be ok ?

Would it impact my electricity consumption ?

Sorry for all the questions, any help is appreciated.
Thank you,

Normally PSU has a holdup time of 1 cycle but depending on your load and nominal input voltage, and other factors, and your's may be oversensitive.

Can you test your UPS with a charger for transient line interference?
Can you scope Power OK signal?

My 2nd choice is to get a PSU with twice the capacity so it has a longer holdup time.
My 3rd choice is swap PSU. You may have a one with low margin.

Normally PSU has a holdup time of 1 cycle but depending on your load and nominal input voltage, and other factors, and your's may be oversensitive.

Can you test your UPS with a charger for transient line interference?
Can you scope Power OK signal?

My 2nd choice is to get a PSU with twice the capacity so it has a longer holdup time.
My 3rd choice is swap PSU. You may have a one with low margin.

Sorry but I do not have any UPS. I would like to make one using my inverter connected to both battery and charger at the same time so the battery takes over if any cycle drop appears at the charger end.
Is it possible ?

To your question; yes, you can make a homebrew UPS like this:

AC => charger => battery => inverter => computer.

But your electric consumption will increase significantly. Every additional energy conversion step (and that includes the battery) adds energy losses.
In critical computer applications, those losses are tolerated as a tradeoff for computer uptime.

To your question; yes, you can make a homebrew UPS like this:

AC => charger => battery => inverter => computer.

But your electric consumption will increase significantly. Every additional energy conversion step (and that includes the battery) adds energy losses.
In critical computer applications, those losses are tolerated as a tradeoff for computer uptime.

Thank you very much :)

The extra consumption should be related to the efficiency of my inverter which is 80% or is there anything else ? The charger should be minimal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back