Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LVDS signal between two different power domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineman

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a LVDS RX/TX pair using TI's SN65LVDS179 parts. The parts are both 3.3V parts, but the two ends run off of slightly different power supplies. One side is running off of a -1.5V/1.5V supply and the other side is running off of a -2.5V/0.8V supply. The allowable common mode range of the parts (VSS+0.3V - VDD-1.2V) overlaps but I am having trouble keeping the signal within the allowable range of both parts (-1.8V - -0.4V). My signaling speeds are fairly slow ( ~36MHz ). What is the best way to keep the common mode in the right range? My first thought was a resistor ladder circuit like the one in the picture below. I have already tried adding the resistor ladder to the circuit and everything seems happy, but I keep wondering if this the best way to solve this problem, or is there a better way? Does anyone have any suggestions?

If the transition density is high enough, you might
be able to capacitor-block it with just a centering
network at the destination end.

dick_freebird said:
If the transition density is high enough, you might
be able to capacitor-block it with just a centering
network at the destination end.

So would that just involve adding two appropriately sized caps in series with the two inputs on one side of the resistor ladder circuit I posted earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back