Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LVDS driver board consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwenouille

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I have some knowledge in electronics, but not that much practice. It is only a hobby for me. Some notions I have may well be completely wrong too...
I've had some success playing with various audio amplifiyers, but that involved a lot of trial and error, and some nasty fails :-D

My first question concerns the power supply needed to drive an LVDS controller board.
I have bought such a thing for a small LED-backlit panel, mainly because I hate to throw things away :). I plan to make it a secondary display for my sons PC (usefull for music softwares). I will refer to it as my "new display"

I have done exactly that in the past, with success (I use it often). I will refer to this previous construction as my "old display"

Now, the new board I have ordered is supposed to be powerd by a 12v DC supply, rated "3A at least".

But when I measure the power consumption of my existing "old display" at the socket, it draws less than 11W, for a similar sized panel, LED-lit as well.
If I am not mistaken, 11 W represent a current flow of slightly less than 1 A at 12V. So 3A seems like an overkill

So I wonder if I could not get away with a smaller supply. Ideally, I would love to use some sort of integrated supply, and not an external "brick".
Shouldn't 2A be plenty ? Especially since the panel is a tad smaller and quite recent ?

Or is there something I am missing ?

Hi,

if you don´t have a specification of the current consumption you need to measure it. ..in full operation.
One can not guess the current consumption of one display by the values of a different display. There are too many parameters....

Klaus

added:
maybe there are situatiations with low current and other situations with high current.
Even pulses are expectable.
So a simple "one shot measurement" doesn´t show the whole truth.

Thanks Klaus.

I haven't thought about pulses... I guess I will have to try it out once I receive the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back