Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice smps diode simulation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikezz

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'v been messing around with designing a smps to charge a capacitor bank at 450v and a small current of around 77mA from an input voltage of 8.3 volts. My only problem now is that when I add a value to the diode on the output side of the circuit (D3) it adds voltage drops bellow 0 volts and spikes above 450v on each square wave.

The pictures attached bellow show a 'before' and 'after' of the output voltage. The 'before' picture (screenshot 4) is exactly what I need but any diode I try to use just produces the exact same weird drops and spikes on each wave (screenshot 3).

If anyone had an idea of why this was happening I would really love the help. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 110

It is called ideal vs real components. Ideal components provide ideal results while real components introduce all the unwanted inductances and capacitances that cause problems and losses.

It will get even worse if you model the transformer with a coupling coefficient less than one to include real leakage inductance.

Reactions: Mikezz

Mikezz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You are using a low frequency power-line rectifier for a high frequency signal. Such a diode has a lot of capacitance and slow recovery.
Change the diode to a Schottky type (no larger than you need).
You may still get some spikes, but they should be a lot lower.

Reactions: Mikezz

Mikezz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I wasn't sure what a "uf" means in this case. Ultra-Fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.